An exhibition organised by MUGAK, the Basque Country International Architecture Biennial, in its second edition. Through a wide show with over 200 objects, drawings and photographs from archives, the Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm, the Braun Sammlung and the Renè Spitz Sammlung –many of them unseen–, the exhibition analyses and displays the teaching and aesthetic methodology of the Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm (Ulm Higher School of Design).
The Ulm School opened in 1953 under the direction of Swiss painter and architect Max Bill, designer and sculptor Otl Aicher and political and cultural activist Inge Scholl, and closed in 1968. Ulm represented the continuation and development of the Weimar, Dessau and Berlin Bauhaus. After the Second World War, Ulm’s teachers and students contributed their elaborated designs and radical aesthetics in an exemplary way to the industrial, political and social reconstruction of West Germany.
Between 1955 and 1960, under Dieter Rams’ artistic direction, the Braun Company collaborated with the Ulm School to develop products that would influence the design of the twenty-first century.
Curators: Gillermo Zuaznabar and Neus Moyano.
Otl Aicher and Hans Conrad; Braun Pavilion, the Radio Exhibition of 1959, Frankfurt ©HfG-Archiv, Um.
*The full programme of the Basque Country International Architecture Biennial MUGAK will be avaliable in september